Folklore Museum (10 minutes’ drive from the hotel)
The Folklore Museum of Kimi is considered one of the best regional museums in the country. It started its operation in 1981 on the initiative of the Educational and Cultural Association of Kimi, which is also its administrator. The building that is housed is one of the most beautiful neoclassical buildings of Kimi, and originally belonged to the rich family of merchants, Karavopoulou. The Museum exhibits a wide range of objects and other items from life in Kimi for the last two and a half centuries: costumes, handicrafts, jewelry, household utensils, tools, heirlooms, paintings, photographs, prints, documents, etc. In the small open-air amphitheater located in the courtyard of the Museum, remarkable cultural events are organized every summer, with local and wider interest. The same building also has a specially designed room for art exhibitions.
In the village of Pyrgo tis Kimi, in the privately owned "Chrysanthopoulos Mansion" operates the Museum Branch, with the collection of the 19th century folk artist Sotiris Chrysanthopoulos, with the diverse talent in secular and religious work such as: icons, murals, reliefs, with its library consisting of antique publications.
The multipurpose room, in the extension of the Museum, is used for lectures, seminars, art exhibitions, educational programs for adults and especially students, uses necessary and complementary to the operation of the Museum, according to the concepts of modern Museology.
- Textiles (mainly cobwebs and tricycles)
- Embroidery (mainly hooded frames and white embroidery)
- Costumes (men-women wedding dresses, festive, everyday)
- Wood carving
- Folk painting (works by G.D'Esposito, Sot. Chrysanthopoulos).
- Stone carving
The Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Savior was founded in 1643, at a point that seems to have pre-existed part of the Mount Athos Monastery of the Great Lavra. Until the middle of the 20th century the Monastery was male, while from 1976 it was female. The location, 5 km north of Kimi, is overgrown with wild vegetation mainly shrubs but also trees such as oaks and arias. The old monastery, which after the destruction suffered during the revolution, was mostly rebuilt in 1847, has now been carefully renovated and is a beautiful building complex that is very harmoniously connected with its impressive natural environment. A harmony that directly reflects the spirituality of the space, as they give it with their physical presence and humility, the nuns who are settled here.
Holy Monastery of the Assumption or "Mantzari" (10 minutes’ drive from the hotel)
Remarkable religious monument of the area is the Monastery of Mantzari, south of Oxylithos. It seems that the monastery already existed before the Turkish occupation. It is also a matter of debate when the surviving katholikon of the Monastery was built: one view claims that it belongs to the 11th century, while another that it was built in the 14th or 15th century. His magnificent frescoes, recently unveiled by expert conservators, are undated so far. It celebrates on the 23rd of August.
At the entrance of the picturesque settlement of Avlonari, called Chania or Pazari, dominates the holy church of Agios Dimitrios, one of the most important Byzantine churches of central Evia and the largest of the churches of the same type that exist in the area.
It dates back to the 13th century and is built on the ruins of an ancient temple. In its original form it must have been a three-aisled basilica, which was later transformed into a cruciform church, an architectural type that prevailed in Evia during the 13th century.
It is a complex monument with special interest for its architecture and monumental painting, for the data of the provincial temples of Evia. Its current form emerged from successive construction phases and alterations. The interior is decorated with fine art murals, which are preserved in good condition and attributed to the painting workshop that operated in the area around 1300. In the main church are depicted scenes from the life of Christ and in the narthex the Second Coming. Some of the figures are particularly imposing, such as those of the military saints in the pronaos and the Archangel Michael in the main temple. The marble manuals that stand in front of the sanctuary are also impressive.
The church is three-aisled: on the left Agios Eleftherios is honored, on the right Agia Thekla and in the center Agios Dimitrios.
THE MUSEUM OF OLIVE MILL “KASOMOULI"
In the village of Ano Potamia there is the "KASOMOULI OLIVE MILL", which has been restored and transformed into a museum visiting place, where you will get acquainted with the traditional and time-consuming process of oil production thanks to the well-preserved old machinery used there and used for oil production in pre-industrial Greece.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREA “KASTRI” AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTION “POTAMIAS”
On the volcanic hill of Ag. Nicholas, whose modern name is "Kastri" is the citadel of ancient Kimi. The earliest traces of habitation in Kastri date back to the Neolithic period (4th millennium BC). The settlement is surrounded by a strong fortified wall consisting of semi-finished blocks built in an irregular polygonal system. During the excavations, a metallurgical kiln, tiles, clay weights, clay figurines, millstones, bronze coins, metal objects, stone votes, inscribed tiles and crushed stone were found during the excavations. Finally, a plethora of bronze coins were found, most of which belong to the Euboean Commonwealth and date back to the 3rd century. B.C.
Also, many findings are on display at the Archaeological Collection of Ano Potamia, operating next to the Church of the Assumption, and include archaeological excavations - such as coins, tools and objects - held on Kastri hill, on which the ancient citadel of Kymi is located. Visitors will be able to stroll through the stunning alleys of the traditional village of Ano Potamia, one of the oldest villages in the area, built amphitheatrically, overlooking the sea and preserving elements.